Richard Paul Spens Cover Letter
Richard Paul Spens 28515 Seven Mile Rd. Livonia, MI 48152-3501 phone# (248) 474 -2799
E Mail Richspens@aol.com
To: Staff Recruiter July 26, 2011
My experience includes 12 years in design, 10 years in testing, and 7 years fabricating parts and assemblies. With
proven success in solving engineering problems from concept through production, I believe I could make
immediate results in your product. I am pleased to have the opportunity to apply for your position as
Highlights of my accomplishments include:
Saved one month in UL regulatory review time loss.
- Transformed a dysfunctional prototype into a successful product line. I have received U.S.
- patent #5,588,257 for garage door opener. Assigned to company.
- Completed value added plastic gear case assembly, improved design, eliminated previous processing
problems and resultant part failures through an improved structure and material selection. Reduced
assembly time by 20% and QC rejects by 80%.
- Designed and implemented use of inspection gauges for output shaft that resolved disputes between
vendors and engineering.
- Redesigned garage door opener using 3D CAD which reduced size, improved lighting, increased ease of
customer installation, and reduced cost ($108.78 to $96.67).
- Considered and resolved constraints of UL standards on manufacturing cost and development schedule.
For me, designing and building things is not just a job, it is my passion. From my childhood projects,
- Mocked up, tested, and machined custom connector, built mold, and cast 80 plastic assemblies saving six to
eight weeks of prototype tooling time quoted by supplier. Saved potential loss of project due to incompletion
of a critical junction.
through my choice of education, to practicing all of my hobbies, designing and building mechanical or electrical
gadgets have defined me.
Most importantly, I can quickly analyze your project, learn your objectives, and goals and do my very best to aid
you in getting there. I do hope we can meet for a short time
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST
so I could explain more fully the valuable contributions I could make as your design engineer. I can be reached
at (248) 474-2799.
Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.
The Complete Resume of Richard Paul Spens
28515 Seven Mile Rd. Livonia, MI 48152-3501 phone# (248) 474 -2799
Objective: Auto-Cad Technician / HVAC Engineering at Thermo-Teck
Apply my Degree and 12 yrs hands-on design prototyping & project organizational experience of concept
of mechanical & electrical devices. An innate mechanical ability Almost driven understand, design, build.
I have been taking apart and rebuilding, say hacking mechanical and electromechanical devices since I was 8 yrs
at my dad feet
(Also an hands on Engineer) until todays multiple projects.
I love to test things, explore and learn how engines, and all things electro-mechanical, work.
Summary of Requirements met:
· Degree in Engineering BSMET from LIT in Southfield, MI.
· 5 years of experience in power-train engineering, 2 in heat flow, heat transfer, Engineer and Technician
· A strong desire to expand my interest in and understanding of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics that I aced at LIT.
· Proven experience in 3-d drawing, parts and assemblies, I used various CAD systems at school and work.
· Proven History of working both independently and in team settings.
· History handling many varied simultanious work assignments to meet deadlines on multiple projects.
· Must have excellent computer skills including hardware Excel and website publishing.
· Hands on experience with Engine modification and rebuilding, theory Knowledge and application.
· History of working long hours as necessary, travel, work weekends/holidays.
· 12 years Demonstrated experience proficiency in setting up and carrying out mechanical tests, see work history.
Complete Work History:
RPS Enterprises-Started and ran my Conpany, Reported to the customer. 4/1996 - present
*Formulated spur Gear design and manufacturing program that calculates 35 interrelated solutions using 3 input
variables. Accelerated the design machining & inspection of manufactured gears and gear sets.
* Consulted and built prototype prosthetic limbs with silicone rubber skin and unique actuators.
* Conceived, developed, made drawings and constructed many mechanical projects. I bought & rebuilt 7 machine
tools to .001 accuracy.
* Consulted Electro-mechanical, & Chemical design development & fabrication of Spectroscopic automated
environmental water analyzer
*I Taught classes using custom projects designed and built hands on educational kits to develop hand-eye, fine,
and gross motor skills.
* Fabricated and machined and $old (using only photos in a trade magazine) College classroom interactive display
set of geometric models.
Project/Design Engineer (6/1986-4/1996)
Stanley Home Automation, A division of the Stanley Works Mfg. of Automatic Garage Door Openers. (SWK),
41700 Gardenbrook Dr.,Novi, MI Reported to the Product Line Manager and Engineering Manager.
Responsible for all mechanical research, design, and production support of the residential garage door opener
Inventor patent # 5,588,257 which was put into production enabling a new product reintroduction with Taiwan
Requirements included UL & CSA approval and validation, manufacturing engineering, product testing, production
and evaluation of cost reduction/avoidance proposals. Plastic gear case assembly design. Designed and
implemented use of inspection gauges
Redesigned garage door opener using 3D CAD, Correctly redefined drawing and QC specifications, vendor
Applied noise abatement test and development to reduce resonant vibration noise
Mechanical Designer / Mechanical Technician (12/1983 - 4/1986)
Bell Northern Research (a Div. of NORTEL) Northern Telecommunication’s Research & Development division,
a fortune 500 company,
100 Phoenix Dr., Ann Arbor, MI Reported to Mechanical Group Leader.
Worked with mechanical and electrical engineers on designing, fabricating, and assembling parts and mechanisms
using worst case thermodynamic
functional analysis for enclosure of Modular Integrated Voice Data System. Developed and maintained to latest
revision prototypes and documentation
of computer modules. Performed product verification through functionality, noise, vibration, and thermal tests.
Assignments involved improving design,
testing vibration and noise of main power supply, EMF shielding of transformer, developing electromechanical
interlocks, and overcoming power supply
bus insertion problems. Designed and built production fixtures for factory floor use.
Engineering Assistant (Full time 9/1983 - 12/1983)
LINK Engineering, (Mfg. of tire test, motor winding machines.) 3840-70 Elmira, Detroit, MI
Reported to Engineering Manager.
Completed checker changes, updated drawings to as-built, researched and assembled drawings into complete
package for shop use.
· Resolved disputes with machine shop by adding a specific process to transfer and resolve drawing changes to
manufacturing and the machine shop.
Saved 1 to 3 days process time and a lot of finger pointing in each cycle.
· Filled in for electrical engineer when he left company, saved 3 weeks in potential lost design time.
General Machinist (1982, through summer 1983)
Zimmerman Engineering, (design and job shop), 2460 Telegraph Rd, Southfield, MI Reported to owner/operator.
Maintained part tolerance and changed inserts, load and unload. Watched and maintained tolerances on Swiss
automatic screw machines and
CNC vertical mill. General machining, short runs, tear-down and some simple set-ups. I Improved and repaired
machinery and production facilities.
· Calculated optimum operating conditions program offsets and tooling of CNC. Increased production 10-20%.
Shop Foreman (part of 1979, summer 1980, 81)
Aqua Star Pools, Ann Arbor Trail Rd. Westland, MI Reported to company owner, kept supervisor informed of my
Set up woodworking and metalworking machinery, repaired and modified steel processing equipment. Designed
and developed new "Apollo" octagon pool,
performed on site troubleshooting and repair, delivered and set up product.
· Built prototype and tooling for preproduction showroom model of octagon pool from verbal description. Design
assured proper installation.
Improved and completed product concept displaying feasibility.
· Developed and built from observations of production problems new steel processing line and racks for stock
storage. Put equipment for
production and stock in logical orderly sequence. Saved 20% on processing steel.
Stock Room Controller (Summer job 1979)
Flair Line, (mfg. of air and hydraulic cylinders) 130424 Flairline drive, Livonia, MI Reported to plant supervisor.
Assembled cylinders and tested for leaks and operation according to specifications.
I pulled and organized parts per design and put into kits for completion by assemblers.
· Within 2 weeks promoted to stockroom from assembler. If parts were not in stock, I placed an order for their
manufacture, or tried to locate them
in the machine shop room. Saved 2 weeks time compared to simply waiting for stock.
· Organized stock of major product into a linear sequence according to order pulled, saved 30% of the time
necessary to pull parts for assembly kits.
Lathe Hand, Piecework (summer 1978)
H.R. Krueger Machine Tool Co., Inc. (Designer and mfg. of assembly line machining centers) 31506 Grand River
Road, Farmington, MI
Reported to shop Foreman. Selected stock and blueprint to produce 1 to 10 parts on worn out W&S #4 Turret
· Developed method to produce long shafting correctly for rush jobs given me, normally beyond the capability of
my (way out of tolerance) machine.
Produced rush jobs as given to me. Enabled machine tools to be assembled on schedule.
· Lawrence Technological University, 1983, BSMET in Engineering, cum laude.
· Electronic Engineering Technology, degree two-thirds complete.
· Two year, High School 1000 hr. vocational certificate in Machine Trades 3.0 GPA.
Computer skills: Custom built my own system from scratch. (hardware and software), Word and Excell trained
Walsh college, CAD experience on 3-D
Autocad,2-D 3-D Cadkey, Applicon, Gerber, and Grafteck Systems.
Engineering training courses: Boothroyd-Dewherst's design for manufacture and assembly (3 day course), ANSI
Geometric Tolerance and Dimensioning
(3 day course), AGMA Gear Design Tolerance and Manufacture (1 week course), Underwriters
Laboratory's Selecting & Applying Recognized
Materials and Components (2 day course), General Electric Plastic's Design for Manufacture (5
day course), CAD/CAM 3 dimensional design for
CAD-KEY (3 day course)
Dean's List - two years, Lawrence Institute of Technology (now called Lawrence Technological University)
· Dean's List - one year, Schoolcraft College
· Top 12% nationally on academic comprehension test
REFERENCES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST I have known 2 to 20 years that can be contacted.
Company Ref are all no longer in buisnes.